FOOT CARE – A MUST FOR HEALTH & HYGIENE
With the decline in number of Corona cases, with shift our focus to the most neglected part of our body i.e. our Feet. While most of us are very particular about taking care of our facial skin, hair, and even hands; feet care is often relegated to the last spot on our list of body care priorities. Even from the aesthetic point of view, neglecting the feet in our daily skincare regimen can turn us into the proverbial peacock – beautiful overall appearance but ugly unseemly feet. Hence the importance of foot care is immense, ignoring the feet can have painful consequences including bacterial or fungal infections, corns, cracked skin and bad odour, among others.
Why take care of our feet?
Feet are our body’s foundation, so keeping them healthy is vital to your overall health. Years of wear and tear can be hard on our feet. Caring for the skin on our feet is also important. Our heels are not meant to feel rough and dry. The longer this issue persists, the more likely it is that our feet will begin to crack. Cracked feet can be a result of dehydration, improper diet and wearing the wrong kinds of footwear. It’s always preferred to start taking precautions before the heels start to crack and eventually lead to pain and bleeding.
Just as we wouldn’t go a day without brushing our teeth, we shouldn’t go a day without taking care our feet. Here’s some basic care that our feet need on daily basis:
- Check them daily for cuts, sores, swelling, and infected toenails.
- Give them a good cleaning in warm water, but avoid soaking them because that may dry them out.
- Moisturize them every day with lotion, cream, or petroleum jelly. Don’t put moisturizer between the toes. The skin there must be kept dry to prevent infection.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting shoes. Our shoes shouldn’t hurt our feet.
- Skip the flip-flops and flats. They don’t provide enough arch support.
- Rotate shoes or do not wear the same pair every day.
- Trim the toenails straight across with a nail clipper. Then use an emery board or nail file to smooth the corners, which will prevent the nail from growing into the skin.
The way we maintain our feet is a sure tell-tale of the level of our personal hygiene and overall health. Pedicures are equally important for both women and men. The importance or the magic they do to our feet are:
- Pedicures help exfoliate our skin, and they also help in removing any callouses on your feet.
- They will help keep our nails clean and tidy which will prevent fungal infections.
- Grooming our nails will prevent them from breaking or painful chipping. It also prevents dry cuticles, hang nails or broken skin.
- Massaging is a part of the process and it helps boost blood circulation, which means – you’re less likely to develop wrinkles on the hands through the years besides eliminating any kind of swelling, numbness or pain.
- It’s a great stress buster which we all need in these uncertain times, irrespective of the gender.
In our upcoming segments we will share information on what tools or products we require to keep our feet proactive, followed by some tips on home remedies for feet care, so keep reading for more…..